As part of our duty as an insurer providing insurance services, sometimes we are required by law to use information about you:
- To help make sure our customers are being treated fairly (e.g. to assist our regulators where we have a legal duty to do so);
- To deal with complaints;
- To help prevent and detect crime (including, for example, the prevention or detection of fraud); and
- To comply with a legal or regulatory obligation.
We can use your personal information in this way because we are required to do so by law.
C. Prevent fraud occurring
Fraud has an impact on all customers as it increases costs for everyone. We use your personal information to check for signs that customers might be dishonest (e.g. if someone has behaved dishonestly in the past it may increase the risk they will do so in future).
We may use your personal information in this way because it is in our interests to detect fraud and in all our customers' interests to ensure that they are not prejudiced due to increased premiums as a result of a few customers acting dishonestly.
D. Recover debt
If you owe us money we will use your personal information to help us recover it.
We can use your personal information in this way because it is a necessary part of the contract of insurance. We need to ensure that premiums are paid so that the majority of our customers do not suffer (e.g. through increased premiums) due to the actions of a small minority of customers.
E. To inform you about and promote products (marketing)
At the time when your personal information was collected, we asked you to indicate your marketing preferences. These preferences can be revisited at any time by contacting our Data Rights Team. Please see section 10 for contact details.
We may use your personal information to offer you suggestions about products and services you might want to buy. We may use external companies to do this on our behalf.
We can use your personal information in this way because it is in our legitimate interests to provide you with the right information at the right time, so that we may look at ways of extending our relationship that we have with you. We will always ensure that we keep the amount of your personal information that we collect and the extent of any processing to the absolute minimum to meet this legitimate interest.
Where we have a legitimate interest to do so or, where necessary you have given us your consent, we may pass your personal information to third parties including:
- U K Insurance Business Solutions Limited, a member of the U K Insurance Limited group of companies, that introduces our customers to products and services. We may send you marketing from them where we believe you will have an interest in their communications and / or
- External companies such as digital content providers to display adverts about our products and services.
If you have chosen not to opt out of marketing we will send you information about our products and services by email, post, telephone or SMS unless you tell us not to. If your information has been provided to us by a third party for marketing purposes we will rely on the consent you have provided to them to conduct direct marketing.
If at any time you do not wish us to use your personal information for this purpose, you may ask us not to do so. The simplest way to do this is to follow the instructions on the communication, which is a click on the unsubscribe link on emails or a return address on the envelope. See section 10 below for full details on how to contact us.
F. Where your or another person's life may be at risk
We will use your personal information to assist where you or another's life or health is in danger and will obtaining your permission is not possible (e.g. arranging emergency medical treatment in a remote location).
G. To administer and improve our services
To administer our services we will share information with others (including to people or organisations that may be based overseas):
- In order to enable us to process your claim or administer your insurance policy more cost effectively;
- To help develop our products, services and systems to deliver you a better sales and claims experience in the future; and
- To understand how our prospective customers make decisions about which insurance policy is the optimal policy.
We may also process your personal data to better understand you as a customer, including to determine how best to retain your custom, and to ask you to provide feedback on the service we provide to you.
We can use your personal information in this way because it is in our legitimate interests to provide the services in the most efficient way. We will always ensure that we keep the amount of your personal information that we collect and the extent of any processing to the absolute minimum to achieve this efficiency.